Job Title: Paralegal
Job Family: Fee Earner
Reporting to: Fee Earner and Practice Manager
Job Purpose: Providing competent advice, services, supervision in Family Law Public, Private, and International Abduction.
To undertake matters which you are competent to conduct having due regard to the policies and procedures defined in the Quality Manual and Employee Handbook relating to your areas of work:
- Producing Notice of Issue, Notice Acting and Delegated Functions on all opened files where applicable.
- Managing correspondence and telephone queries through the Triage Electronic system.
- Arranging appointments and attending new, current and former clients and dealing with their queries including:
- Providing initial instructions/referrals and allocation to a fee earner
- Obtaining instructions and advising on course(s) of action, length and cost of case (as appropriate);
- Assessing client’s financial means and explanation of Public Funding or Private terms and conditions;
- Attending clients at Courts, Branch Offices and other locations as necessary
- Maintaining an effective diary system – court dates, limitation dates and timetables set by court/tribunals
- Producing documents including Statements, Notices, Applications, and other Legal Forms/Documents under the supervision of a nominated Supervisor
- Attending Court/PLOs/Advocates meetings as requested by Fee Earners
- Supporting Fee Earners to move cases forward
- Obtaining and reviewing evidence and statements
- Liaising with Counsel, Medical Experts and other professionals
- Ensuring efficient day-to-day progress of all matters, prioritising work as necessary and keeping the client informed on progress.
- Preparing files for billing and closing, ensuring all documents and financial information is in place
- Recording all work carried out accurately and appropriately on the firm’s Case Management System
- Ensuring that all work carried out meets or exceeds the requirements of the Legal Aid Agency’s Standard Contract, the SRA Standards and Regulations, and meets the Specialist Quality Mark standard.
- Participating in the Reception rota and general office admin activities when required.
- Undertake appropriate training and development.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- Logical and analytical thinking
- Written and oral communication
- Organisational skills
- Family Law
- Legal Aid
- Experience in family law/child proceedings – Essential
- Experience of electronic case management systems – Desirable